Session 7 - Ecological Site Descriptions: An Interdisciplinary and Interagency Effort - Future Opportunities
Click on the graph below or click here for a detailed Green Savings analysis of this webinar.
May 28, 2013 2:00 pm US/Eastern
Length: 01:09 (hh:mm)
- Loretta J. Metz, CEAP Rangeland Management Specialist, USDA NRCS Resource Assessment Division, Grassland Soil and Water Research Lab, Temple, TX
- Dave Cleland, Ecologist, US Forest Service, Washington Office, Rhinelander, WI
- American Forage and Grassland Council - 1.5 hour CFGP Credit
- Certified Crop Advisors - 1.5 hour CCA Self Study - SW Credit
- Conservation Planner - 1.5 hour Conservation Planning Credit
- Society of American Foresters - 1.5 hour Category 1 Credit
- Society for Range Management - 1.5 hour SRM Credit
This is the seventh session of an eight-session webinar series. This training will introduce the basic concepts of ecological sites, how ecological site descriptions are developed, and how ecological site descriptions can be utilized in making management decisions.
This session will focus on how agencies and NGOs can benefit from, and contribute to, the ecological site description process through standardized methods and procedures, as defined in the Interagency Ecological Site Handbook for Rangelands. The Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Forest Service (FS), and Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will utilize this handbook to define, delineate, and describe terrestrial ecological sites on rangelands. The Interagency Ecological Site Handbook for Rangelands implements the policy outlined in the Rangeland Interagency Ecological Site Manual. This policy provides direction to BLM, FS, and NRCS to cooperatively identify and describe rangeland ecological sites for use in inventory, monitoring, evaluation, and management of the Nation’s rangelands. Multiple agencies contribute and benefit from development of ecological site descriptions.
This webinar series is sponsored by the National Grazing Lands Team located at the Central National Technology Support Center. Contact Homer Sanchez, Rangeland Management Specialist, for more information about ecological site descriptions.